Wednesday, May 23, 2007

If you really stop and think about it...

I was walking through Target today and heard a 10-year old girl talking
to some mentor-type non-mom person. And she said something, but all I heard was, "Isn't it interesting? I mean, If you really stop and think about it..."

Stop and think about what? Why would you need to stop and think?

Then I realize that it's just a cliche people use to make a thought sound profound. I'm not trying to knock this little girl, she has no clue. But other people use it excessively to make an every day thought sound profound.

But I don't need to stop to think about it. I can walk and chew gum at the same time. AND I can walk and think at the same time too! So, cliche speakers of the world, I will not cease my movements to think about your unprofound ponderings . . . I will continue my forward movings and possibly think about it. Whatever "it" is.

So when you stop and think about it, there's really no point to the phrase.

2 comments:

~moe~ said...

But what's sad is so many people don't stop and think. They don't think in general. They just react. They don't listen or concentrate on what is being said. They just react and often poorly. It's surreal.

Jason said...

I hate cliches. They really stick in my craw.