Sunday, September 02, 2007

Renaissance Festival

I went to the Renaissance Festival with two college friends yesterday and had a blast.
However, here are my thoughts on the Renaissance Festival:

I think that the MN Renaissance Festival is a historian's nightmare. The place is just a hedonistic pagan jungle. They completely miss out on things that happened during the Renaissance, which I find fascinating: the battles between rulers and the pope, the Reformation, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle artists, the sciences of Copernicus and Galileo, and the revival of all things classical. This is what the Renaissance truly is, but all we get are a group of horny men and women using all of their faculties to be naughty. Needless to say, that's a lot of fun.

I used to sing with the Elizabethan Syngers at this Ren Fest and, though I won't admit missing it, I did get to hear some great music. Our group is one of very few that actually performed "Renaissance" music. I must admit that some of our music was from the 20th century and sounded "Renaissance," but those were few and far between. We were asked by the people who run the Ren Fest, Mid-America Festivals, to dumb-down our show. I guess that they used to sing really high Renaissance pieces, but now are "forced" to do a semi-bawdy act for the hoi polloi. So, I guess my dream will continue as it stands and we all will enjoy the Renaissance not for what it truly was, but for what we think it should have been.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Your second paragraph resembles what I wrote about Ren Fest last fall. I don't suspect plagiarism--just similar perspectives.

It really is pretty funny.