Saturday, March 29, 2008

Writing Tips

I stumbled upon a list of writing tips that I think everyone should know. This is only part of the article, but I'm sure you'd enjoy all 100 tips.

  1. Every sentence should make sense in isolation. Like that one.
  2. Excessive hyperbole is literally the kiss of death.
  3. ASBMAETP: Acronyms Should Be Memorable And Easy To Pronounce, and SATAN: Select Acronyms That Are Non-offensive.
  4. Finish your point on an up-beat note, unless you can’t think of one.
  5. Don’t patronise the reader-he or she might well be intelligent enough to spot it.
  6. A writer needs three qualities: creativity, originality, clarity and a good short term memory.
  7. Choose your words carefully and incitefully.
  8. Avoid unnecessary examples; e.g. this one.
  9. Don’t use commas, to separate text unnecessarily.
  10. It can be shown that you shouldn’t miss out too many details.


The best and funniest tips are scattered throughout, I thought of picking and choosing, but I'm lazy. Enjoy!

4 comments:

~moe~ said...

This is awesome! I love this list! :)

Projetor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason said...

Choose your words carefully and incitefully.

Meaning, with intent to incite? Or did they really mean "insightfully?"

That's inciteful spelling. Bwahaha.

Jason said...

Okay, so I worded that one wrong, and my intent was lost. I should be more inciteful.

(But it seems more a homonym misspelling than poor word choice, and so the joke is a bit mushy.)