Wednesday, June 04, 2008

2 Things....

Softball
Becky and I have joined a Softball league through her work. This was the third game I played with them and the first one I've had more than one at bat. (Actually, I only had one at bat total in the first two games). Well, here are my personal stats.
  • I hit a pop to center, out.
  • I hit a triple (that I over ran and pissed off the third base coach who was telling me to stop at 2nd)
  • I hit 2 doubles.
  • I caught 2 flies to the pitcher.
  • I made the last play a diving, grounder-stopping play, with a throw to first.
  • I pitched 6 of the 7 innings.
  • We won our first game in 3 years!
I'm really proud of our team. Becky struck out once and hit solid singles (one should have been a double or more, but our team is conservative on base running).

Piano
So I wrote earlier about being asked to play piano at a church this Sunday. Well, we rehearsed tonight. I tried to back out of it and get some friends to cover for me, and I'm glad I didn't. I was less than stellar, but I need to be publicly humiliated into practicing more.

So, I get there and the Pastor introduces me and gives me a huge, over-the-top introduction. Then says that I'm in charge and leaves. I was not ready to lead, in fact, I was hoping to follow. I was kind of thinking that the guitar and choir would be the main leaders and I would be providing the bass and a little melody, because I was told that they knew all the music.

They didn't.

So, I worked them like I would any other choir. I think they appreciated it. I also think I talked too much, which is a common critique for me, but I had fun and I think they did too.

I am so used to 1-1/2 hour rehearsal that I didn't even look at my watch, just let them out when we were done at an hour 28 minutes. I laughed. They normally don't practice for a set time, so this was new to them.


I have one of my goals down, I played in front of people. On Sunday, I'll be driving in that goal and will have finished it undeniably. I'm glad for this opportunity, even if it is beyond my ability. I need a good challenge to rise up to, otherwise I won't challenge myself.

Thanks for reading, many blessings to all you all.

No comments: