Friday, December 19, 2008

work

I'm sitting at work, it's 2:30, and I have nothing to do until 4:00AM.

I like this job because I'm learning a ton, but the hours are going to kill me. I don't know what I'll do on overnights to occupy my mind while my body wishes to be doing something a little more carnal... namely sleep, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. It's my first time on overnights, out of training, so I'll get there.

On a completely different subject. As a kid there was an activity that occurred around Thanksgiving and Christmas that I hated, dreaded and loathed...the practice of telling everyone what you are thankful for while standing praying.

This didn't happen with regularity, but sometimes we would stand in "family prayer" pose, with everyone in a circle and we'd go around saying what we were thankful for. Now, mind you, I have a lot to be thankful for, but I hated saying it and hated more to try and think about being thankful. I *KNEW* I was thankful, wasn't that enough?

Apparently not.

This is still an issue for me, so Becky suggested that I start a "gratitude journal." I of course scoffed at the idea, but later decided to try it. I started with "stupid" things like: Sunshine, Flowers and Children Playing. Soon, I realized that these seemingly superficial items are things I am thankful for. I started to realize that even though I didn't like working at the kiosk, that this was a means of income, I was thankful of that. My attitude started to change.

Then, I stopped doing it. Like EVERY journal I've ever started, I stopped writing in it. The only person who knows when I write and when I don't write is myself. Becky doesn't know and up until now, she was the only one who knew about this journal, I think.

Anyway, I only write 3 things, and I'll write 3 now.
Three things I am thankful for:
Having Christmas Eve off.
Having a job I like and learn from.
Having some time to spend with family and friends.

I didn't realize how much that sounds like a MasterCard commercial.

Anyway....
Tomorrow (Well, today) I will get off at 7:00AM. I'll see my doc at 9:00, get home about 11:00AM. I need to be at MOA for work from 4PM-10PM and at USI at 11PM. I'll be tired, grouchy and probably pissy. But, I have work. I get the weekend off to see Becky's family on Saturday and maybe some friends on Sunday.

1 comment:

Max Weismann said...

We are a not-for-profit educational organization, founded by Mortimer Adler.

We have recently made an exciting discovery--three years after writing the wonderfully expanded third edition of How to Read a Book, Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren made a series of thirteen 14-minute videos on the art of reading. The videos were produced by Encyclopaedia Britannica. For reasons unknown, sometime after their original publication, these videos were lost.

For those of you who teach, this is great for the classroom.

I cannot over exaggerate how instructive these programs are--we are so sure that you will agree, if you are not completely satisfied, we will refund your donation.

Please go here to see a clip and learn more:

http://www.thegreatideas.org/HowToReadABook.htm