Friday, January 30, 2009

Inauguration Day!

So, now that it's been 10 days, I found the text file I was writing while watching the inauguration.

Inauguration Day 2009

I'm watching the inauguration and when John Williams' piece Air and Simple Gifts was playing, I was thinking, "Man, Obama, look at all the trouble that was made for you!" Then I realized that this wasn't, or rather, isn't for him, but for me. We don't hold the spectacle for him, but rather for me and for you.

This spectacle today, did what was intended, it rallied America around our new President and it gave the world something to watch and also rally around.

This is the first inauguration that I scheduled around to see. This is the first time that I've been excited for a president to hold office. This is not to discount the previous administrations, I've only seen a few in my life. I was born in the Carter administration, so I "witnessed" Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush.


"Praise Song for the Day"--- I don't know what to think of this poem yet.

Someone needs to teach these pastors what an invocation and a benediction are.


Covering your heart during the National Anthem. This is not an appropriate action. (I guess it's not 'in'appropriate, but there is no purpose. Are you pledging? Singing a narration of a past event does not evoke a heart covering motion. It's a narrative!)


This is the overall "Ordo" of the worship service(s):















Inauguration Mass
(abbreviated)
"Contemporary" Worship
Prelude

Processional

Opening song

Invocation

Pledges

Speech

Poem

Benediction

Closing Song

Recessional

Postlude
Prelude

Processional

Gathering Song

Invocation....

Readings

Sermon

Singing

(Communion Stuff)

Benediction

Sending Song

Postlude
Singing

Prayer (maybe invocation involved)

Sermon

Song



It seems as though the Inauguration is something in between the contemporary and traditional worship services. I don't know what that means, but it's interesting to me.

Good night, all!

No comments: