Friday, February 27, 2009

More on happiness

I may have blogged about this before, I can't remember...

Music has always been one of those things in my life that I just assumed made me happy. I never felt happy because of it and actually kind of disliked rehearsals and practicing etc. However, when there would be those questions on aptitude surveys and such, even though music didn't make me "happy," I always put it as my happiest moments.

Well, I've since realized that I am not happy about anything. Nothing makes me "happy."

After I came to this realization, and now that I'm not singing or playing or directing or studying any music, I sing incessantly. It brings me joy.

I just walked down the hallway at work and sang the whole song, "On the Street Where You Live."

I love every second of it. I'm not ashamed to say that I was picturing someone coming out of an office, even though they should have been gone hours ago, and marvelling at my pipes. (I'm quite loud when I want to be). I did have a second of thinking that someone would be thinking, "I thought he said he has a degree in singing." But that was quickly shunned by my childish imaginings.

It was great.

I can honestly say that sing and playing music is when I am most happy.

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

I was singing Aqua in my car last night on the way home from a party. I was loud and vibrant in my rendition of "Doctor Jones" and "Barbie Girl". At one point I thought, what would a cop say if he pulled me over and found me singing as I am...eh, whatever.

I missing singing in a choir. I don't miss rehearsals or practicing. But I miss singing with an awesome group. So until I find one, I will sing on my own and love it.