Friday, February 20, 2009

Reflections

I was looking at an old post and saw the label for that post, "2 kinds of ice cream."  It comes from "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," a musical that I have only seen one scene.  

When I was in high school, I had a crush on a budding young actress named Keri(th).  Yes, we just called her Keri, but her name was Kerith.  She was in a ton of Children's Theatre productions and one was the aforementioned musical.  She showed it to us, or at least the scene in which the song, "Happiness (is...)," is sung.  The only lyrics I recall from it is, "Happiness is two kinds of ice cream..."  I've been singing that phrase for 15 years and always thought it was stupid, but cute.

While I was at Normandale, one of the guys I hung out with in the music department really liked Mitch Hedberg and would rephrase a quote*, "I've got a roll of lifesavers in my pocket and red's next!"  Meaning, that things are going well.  I've got everything going for me, because I've got my favorite Lifesaver coming up next.  Again, funny, but no real substance to that philosophy.

A friend chatted me tonight.  Her husband was laid-off in November and she hasn't been working for a few years since her kids, now 6 and 3, were born.  I told her about my job and that I'm working nights.  I mentioned that it's not that bad since it's only temporary.  She then asked me how to get an attitude like that, because her outlook is so grim.  I didn't have a good answer.

Then I thought about people who find happiness in the trivial and realize that they've got it going on.  The people who find happiness in lifesavers and ice cream realize that there's a lot of garbage happening in the world and we need to create the happiness we seek.  Maybe that "gratitude journal" has more to it than meets the eye.  I will revisit that and maybe suggest it to my friend.



*I believe the actual quote is..."Man, I can't wait to get off this stage, cause there's a roll of lifesavers in my pocket, and pineapple is next."  My friend didn't like pineapple, so he used red instead.

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

I've recently come to know Mitch's philosophy as my coworker J2 sends me the daily Mitch every morning at work (or a random tv/movie clip).

It is the simple things that make the world go 'round. I've been having these conversations with a friend of mine lately how things get so tense and you want to just scream at everything. I've found it's at those moments where I'm frustrated and feeling mad or sad or grim that when I focus on the the great things I do have, that I can pick myself up and regroup.

Maybe I'm just channeling Art Garfunkel today - "Always look on the bright side of life" (I paused for the whistle). The thing is, things can always suck at some point in life, but overall, life is pretty great, even during the tough times.