Tuesday, February 10, 2009

St Augustine

This post isn't about St. Augustine, as the title would lead you to believe, but it contains a "quote" of his.

Last week, B. Hussein Obama (lol!) quoted Augustine saying, "Pray as if it all depended on God, but work as if it all depended on you." He doesn't explain it, because he's a politician, but I think Augustine meant that we are the answers to those prayers. As in, if you start praying for the homeless, then soon, you will realize that you can volunteer at the Dorsi Day center and help with the solution. We are the hands of God.

I am writing this, not because I think Mr. Obama was brilliant for quoting Augustine, but rather, this is one of the few times that a politician preached to me.

A friend killed herself last week and it's been really tough on me. Much harder than I ever thought it would. I found out that she had attempted suicide before and has been told that she just needed to pray harder, that praying would cure her of whatever illness she succumbed to. What they missed was that she was praying hard, very hard--and neither we, nor she, were doing the work.

I strongly doubt that if I was a better friend she would still be here. I very strongly doubt that if anyone else said things differently, she would still be here. I don't think anyone could have prevented this but her. It just dawned on me how these two coincided.

So I will close with more of St. Augustine:
Watch, O Lord, with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight, and give Your angels and saints charge over those who sleep.
Tend Your sick ones, O Lord Christ.
Rest Your weary ones.
Bless Your dying ones.
Soothe Your suffering ones.
Pity Your afflicted ones.
Shield Your joyous ones, and all for Your love's sake. Amen.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I've been seeing a lot of tragedy lately, too--it's tough out there right now. Last week one of my co-workers killed herself. I worked with her for five hours the night before. It's bizarre.

I can certainly see the sense in Obama's Augustine quote.