Friday, March 13, 2009

Canons and Fugues

A while back, a friend sent this around the music department at Luther.
This is why musicians hate Canon in D. Well, there are other reasons too. There's a lot of great songs in the world, why can't people choose something else for their wedding?

I would like to start the reasons musicians hate Pachelbel's Canon in D. Please add to it and debate it in your comments.
1. It's not a canon. It's a chaconne.
2. It's overplayed.
3. It's every non-fan of classical music's favorite piece of classical music.
4. We've played it at every wedding. (see #2)
5. It's the same thing over and over.
6. It's the same chord progression used in most every other "rock" song.

Many musicians prefer the following format, the fugue. However, if Pachelbel had written a popular fugue, we'd probably hate that too.


Now you understand a little bit of my humor. Well, you probably don't, but I gave you a glimpse into it.

2 comments:

~moe~ said...

I love Rob's comment, "I don't even go to Taco Bell anymore because it sounds too close." And "Punk music is a joke, it really is just baroque."

The Pi guy(s) were awesome. :)

And the Dragnet fugue is funny, but it'd be better if it was an actual orchestra instead of digital, but that's just me.

And for the record, I hate fugues...too much going on at once. :(

Baritonality said...

The coolest thing about the Dragnet Fugue is that an MSM was telling us about his "brilliant" college classmate who wrote it... a couple weeks later, someone found it on YouTube!

I agree with the orchestra thing, you can download the score, I think.