Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Aging

So, Thursday, May 14th, I will turn 30 at 6:08 AM. Well, it won't happen precisely then, but you get the idea.

My teens have been long behind me and now I'm looking at the end of my twenties. As many have said when leaving one era and moving on to another, it was great while it happened, but I won't miss it. Especially the last year-and-a-half. Those were the worst 18 months, or so, in my life, aside from the first 18 months. I am told that those were hell for everyone, including me.

Anyway, how does one celebrate their 30th? Why by doing something risky, right? Like skydiving or base jumping or going to Las Vegas. Not I, I will be.... wait for it.... doing something far riskier....

For the regular reader, they might remember that a year or so ago I wrote that I never commit to anything (yes, I'm married, but that's different). I never go all out on anything, so what I'm planning on doing on Thursday is committing to something, putting my best foot forward and taking a "real" risk. I am sticking my neck out. I am using as many cliches as I can muster up.

I am submitting a musical composition for publication.

So, wish me luck. I am not hopeful, because I'm behind the times on my piece. 2 pieces using the same text have come out in the last 2-3 years, so I think that I will not be as likely to get published as I would have been 4 years ago when I wrote it. But this is something to do in order to have done it, then it won't be scary next time.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

M.Filly said...

Dude, it's just a number.

Baritonality said...

Oh, I'm not worried about the number. It's just a milestone, not really a millstone. I'm excited for 30. When people ask my age, they only hear the 20 in 29. 30 seems to be "mature." I won't be, I promise, but people might see it as such.

M.Filly said...

I hear thirty is the new 58, sad to say. Luckily for me, 31 is the new 27! I'm sure that will change before you turn 31, however... and after I turn 32, which is the new 21. Can anybody say "Power Hour?"