Sunday, November 01, 2009

Nouns and Verbs

I am sick of people misusing the English language.... part 1.
I understand that taking a noun and turning it into a verb can strengthen the sentence. However, when it happens consistently, it cheapens any use of the word entirely.
I have been to too many weddings where the couples "covenant" each other. For crying out loud, MAKE a covenant. Do they not think that by creating a bond they are doing something more important than screwing up the English language? I know that covenant is officially a verb now in newer dictionaries, but I wholly refuse to use it that way. Another verbed noun is to gift. I hear this and I cringe.What's most interesting to me is the fact that I "text," "friend" people on facebook, "re-gift," and "verb" various other nouns, but for some reason "gift" and "covenant" are verboten.
With neologisms abounding in this post-modern world, I'll either have to adapt or be pissed off. It's obvious which I've chosen.

No comments: