Monday, June 07, 2010

"Tour de Cure" Bike ride to cure diabetes

Saturday, B and I rode 45 miles for the American Diabetes Associations "Tour de Cure." We raised nearly $1000 for diabetes research and treatment, but that was not without a cost... it rained. All. Day.
It was a beautiful day, before 7am, but from 7-4 it was gross. I was not happy. In fact, I was grouchy, plain and simple. I marked the last 10-15 miles of the trail and started grouchy. Whoever invented Spray Chalk should be drug out into the street and shot. It doesn't work. At least not well. Yes, I wrote spray chalk, it comes in an aerosol can and is great in concept, but neither I, nor the 8 other people marking the routes had consistent luck with it.
I was supposed to ride 62 miles, but I had so much trouble marking the trail that I didn't get done until after that ride began. Plus, as I wrote before, I was grouchy. However, it gave me the opportunity to ride for 45 miles with B. She liked that and my grouchiness subsided (eventually).
Anyway, you might be wondering how we amassed such a pile of donations. To that end, I will let you know that we have the best friends in the whole world! B suggested that we host a couple of Spaghetti Dinners, one at our apartment complex's party room, the other at our church home. Between the two, and many online donors, we got that much. B's still a little short of her goal, if you care to donate, feel free to do so at: http://main.diabetes.org/goto/beckyj I'm not fishing for donations, but if this is on your list of important causes, please donate.
On that note, on of the larger donors was a friend from High School who I haven't seen for a dozen years and our only contact since then has been via facebook. Thanks, D! And Thank you all for a great ride!

No comments: